Support for Young People

Finding the right kind of help and support can be hard sometimes, even if it is just having someone to talk to about things that are affecting you and your life. This can make a huge positive difference, not just for you but also if you want to help a friend or family member that you are worried about.

There are lots of different types of help and support available for young people today. Just scroll down the page until you find the right one for you.

If you are not sure about who to contact and which number to call, you can call the Youth Support Team and we can help guide you on this.
You can get them on: (01437) 775295 .

Alternatively there is always Childline - the UK's free 24 hour helpline for children and young people in distress or danger. They have trained counsellors who are there to help and comfort children and young people who may feel they have nowhere else to turn.

Childline Free phone: 0800 1111

Advocacy and Support

 MEIC Cymru is an advocacy and support service that can help with information and advice for children in Wales. If you are having problems and need to speak to someone then get in contact with MEIC:

Free phone: 0808 8023456 is completely free and will not show up on the phone bill
Text: 84001 again is completely free
Check out their website:  Meic Cymru

Tros Gynnal Plant is a leading Welsh children's charity working with some of our country's most vulnerable children and young people.

For a child or a young person that may be experiencing difficulty in getting help and support in health, education and social care, children with disabilities, children with emotional health needs, looked after children, those leaving care and children seeking asylum, then Tros Gynnal Plant can help.

 Freephone: 0808 168 2599 or (01545) 571 865

Click on the link below for their website for more details:
Tros Gynnal Plant

Disabilities and Young People

Action for Children raise awareness, identify and provide direct support to children and young people who look after or help to look after someone in their family who is unwell or disabled, including children caring for parents who have mental health or substance misuse problems.

The direct support that they provide includes:


  • Young carers needs assessment
  • Personal support, advice and guidance
  • Individual and group support
  • Trips and activities during school holidays
  • Help to access specialist services
  • Help to access universal services such as leisure and youth services


Check out their website:
Action for Children

For further information on young carers please contact Action for Children on:

Telephone: (01437) 761330


If you wish to talk to someone for more information on children with disabilities please contact:

Childcare Assessment Team on: (01437) 764551

Or for information about the Children with Disabilities Team see:



Inclusion Service

The inclusion service aims are to help children and young people with additional needs to have a high quality education which is broad, balanced and relevant to meeting their individual needs. The service also seeks to ensure the appropriate environment for meeting physical and emotional needs of all children and young people.
For further information on the Inclusion Service please click on the link below:  

Inclusion Service

Young Carers

Young Carers Project are a service offering support, information and fun activities for young carers aged 8 to 25 years old who live in Pembrokeshire. They have support groups across the county offering training, self-development, friendship and emotional support. They can also help young carers plan for their future using person centred planning tools.

If you would like to be involved or know of a young carer who may benefit from our service please complete and return a referral form or call the Scheme Coordinator on (01437) 761330 for an informal chat.

Telephone: (01437) 761330
Website: Young Carers Project

Email: Young Carers Project

Gypsy and Travellers

Travelling Ahead is a great forum for young Gypsies and Travellers in Wales. You can check out their website which is full of useful information here: Travelling Ahead


Youth Homelessness Team
There are a range of reasons that can potentially lead to a young person becoming homeless. These include: disadvantaged childhoods or Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs); being in care; family relationship breakdown; mental health issues; youth offending; LGBTQ+ young people; exclusion from school and lack of employment opportunities.
Pembrokeshire Youth Service offer a range of help, support and guidance which is aimed at averting youth homelessness. For more information please contact the Youth Homelessness Team on 01437 765353.
For more information please see our Youth homelessness leaflet 

The County Council is under a legal duty to secure accommodation to certain people who are considered to be homeless or threatened with homelessness, and for whom no other suitable accommodation is available.

This includes young people aged 16 and 17 years old. If you need information or support with homelessness, please contact:

The homelessness Duty Officer on (01437) 764551
Or email: Enquiries


Pembrokeshire Care Society (PCS/PATH) assists all homeless persons with advice, assistance and advocacy to enable them to secure safe and affordable accommodation.

Pembrokeshire Care Society,
1 Corner, House Barn Street,
SA61 1BW
Telephone: (01437) 765335
Website: Pembrokeshire Care Society

Internet Safety

Going online can be fun, interesting and a fantastic place to get any information you want as well as chat with friends. Keeping safe online is important for every one of all ages and so to help you to stay safe online we have added a link to a very useful site that offers advice on how to stay safe online. Think U Know


If you have any worries about being online such as not being sure about something or someone and it is making you uncomfortable, it is really important that you tell someone such as a parent or guardian.


You can do this by reporting this on the site link above by simply clicking on this link

Ceop Report or if on the thinkuknow website just click on the red tab labelled "Report abuse".


In the meanwhile, follow these Dos and Don'ts tips to stay safe online and feel free to pass this information on to your friends and family:


  • Don't give out any personal information to anyone (especially a stranger) online, this are things like: your name, age, address, telephone number or passwords
  • Don't ever meet up with a stranger you meet online. This is extremely dangerous as you don't know if they are a good or bad person. Just because they say who they are does not mean it is true.
  • Do tell an adult such as a family member, guardian or friend if you are being bullied or if someone is making you feel uncomfortable.
    If someone you have never met is asking you to meet up, you must go and tell your parents or guardians about this.
    Remember, if someone is asking you to do things you are not comfortable with - DO NOT DO IT!!
    You can also click on this link: Ceop Report
    You will not get into trouble about this no matter what has happend and it is really important you tell someone
  • Do change all of your settings on all of your social media accounts such as Facebook etc so that they are set on the highest security and privacy settings (the top right of the page has a little lock symbol which you can click on to do this)

Emotional and Mental Health Services

School Counselling

Many young people are struggling with how they feel. They are having problems with friends, family or school, they are anxious, depressed, angry or scared and need to talk to someone, but find it difficult to talk to people they know. Counselling can help you talk things through, support you without making you feel judged, and is completely confidential (unless you disclose that your personal safety is at risk). School-based counselling can make a positive difference to young people's lives.

How school-based counselling can help young people
Counselling is the most common form of talking therapy and is available in all our secondary schools. Counselling can help you deal with issues and events and the effects they are having on your mental wellbeing. Counselling could be recommended for young people who are basically healthy but who are struggling with a mental health disorder such as depression or eating disorders; it can address problems with anxiety, bereavement, bullying, anger, relationships, low self-esteem, self-harm or anything else they may be worried about. The counsellor will help you to explore the problem, and together you will find strategies for coping.
Young people attending any secondary school in Pembrokeshire can directly access their school-based counsellor by visiting the counsellor at their school. Each school has a counselling room, where the school-based counsellor is based. You don't need a referral by a professional, you can ask for help yourself.

Adults who know the young person, such as a youth worker, teacher or school nurse, can also suggest that a young person access school-based counselling but a conversation will always be held with you prior to any involvement with a counsellor to make an agreement about how you will work together.

Counselling will not take place without the consent of the young person. Every secondary school should have leaflets and notice boards advertising the service and how it can be accessed.

If you want to get in contact with the school counselling service, you can email them on

Young People's Counselling Service offers support and help for children and young people from 8 years upwards and is free and is open access (no referrals required). The fastest way to get an appointment is through visiting your GP and asking for a referral.

Contact details:
Brechfa Hive,
The Garth Youth Project,
Goshawk Road,
SA61 2UB

Telephone: (01437) 766200

Email: Young Peoples Counselling Service

Specialist CAMHS (Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services)

For young people who need more specialist help, Specialist CAMHS are referral-only NHS mental health services that focus on the needs of children and young people. They are a team that consists of:
• psychiatrists
• psychologists
• nurses
• psychological therapists

You can only access Specialist CAMHS with a referral from a professional.
This could be:
• your GP
• someone you trust at school or college - for example, a teacher, pastoral lead, school nurse or additional learning needs co-ordinator (ALNCO)
• your social worker (if you are being supported by social services)
• your case manager or support worker (if you are being supported by the Youth Justice Team)

Pembrokeshire Counselling Service

Pembrokeshire Counselling Service is a free, confidential counselling service for people living in Pembrokeshire.

They offer short term counselling in a private confidential setting at one of several approved locations in Pembrokeshire (this could be somewhere such as a local health centre, hospital or at Pembrokeshire College).

They generally support people aged 16 + but by special arrangement and with parents' or guardians' consent are able to support people below this age.

Anyone considering seeing a counsellor from PCS needs to refer themselves by ringing their phone number: 01437 768708. When you ring, you get through to an answer phone and you are asked to leave your name and contact number. When a counsellor rings you back, they will discuss with you what would be the right support for you, which could include putting your name on their waiting list or the counsellor referring you to another organisation better suited to your particular situation.

There is a waiting list to see a counsellor and sometimes this can be three months or more.

Sandy Bear Children's Bereavement Charity

Sandy Bear is back up and running as an independent charity. You may remember this service when it was being run under Hywel Dda Health Board.
It is staffed by the same two nurses as before, but now is a charity raising money for itself

Sandy Bear provides practical support and guidance to children, young people and their families who have experienced bereavement that is affecting their emotional health and well-being. They also provide anticipatory grief support to families where there is a family member with a life-limiting illness.

It can be overwhelming when supporting a child or young person through bereavement whilst also dealing with individual grief. Sandy Bear can support families through this process to help prevent difficulties in later life. They hold groups for young people as well as for parents/carers, and also offer face-to-face meetings and telephone support.

You can contact Sandy Bear at Europa House, 115 Charles Street, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, Wales, SA73 2HA
Telephone: 01437 700272 or email 

Cruse Bereavement Care
For some young people, experiencing the death of a loved one, whether a parent, caregiver, sibling, friend or grandparent, can be hard to face without support. If this has happened to you, you need to have the opportunity to grieve, talk about how you are feeling and be supported to understand your emotions.

If someone you know has died why not send a private message to one of Cruse Bereavement Counselling's trained volunteers at who will reply to you by email.

If you want to talk to someone direct, call their FREE phone helpline on 0808 808 1677.

If you would like to meet someone to talk to about your feelings you can phone their local Freephone number 0800 288 4700 Option 3. Leave a message if you get through to voicemail and a Cruse volunteer will call you back.

For more information, including advice on how to support a child or young person who has experienced the loss of a loved-one, please visit

Pembrokeshire Mind is a local support service that can help people with mental and emotional health issues. Whilst they mainly support adults, they can offer free and confidential one-to-one advice and can refer you to the right people that can help you.

Call them on: (01437) 769982 Website: Pembrokeshire Mind



Family Information Service

For anything to do with childcare, family support service or services for disabled children and young people then the Family Information Service can help.
Their webpage is full of information that is easy to find: Family Information Service

Or you can contact them on: (01437) 770014

Sexual Health and C-Card

The C Card scheme offers free condoms and sexual health information for young people aged 14-25 across Pembrokeshire. If you need to get hold of your C Card, you can register on the scheme with your school nurse or community youth worker.

For emergency contraception, it must be taken within 72 hours of having unprotected sex but the sooner it is taken the more effective it is. Emergency contraception can be available from:

  • Any Community Contraception and Sexual Health Clinic during clinic times. This is a free and confidential service and no appointment is needed
  • Any GP (it does not have to be your own doctor)
  • Selected pharmacies when accredited pharmacist is on duty
  • Alternatively, if you are 16 or over you can buy the emergency pill from most pharmacies or chemists for around £25

To find you're nearest clinic or if you want to make an appointment call: (01267) 248674

Emergency contraception (also known as the morning after pill) is available free from many community pharmacies across Pembrokeshire.

Sexually transmitted infections (STI s) can be treated at specialist Genito Urinary Medicine (GUM) clinics. To find out more or to make an appointment call: (01267) 248674

All clinics GUM clinics are by appointment except drop-in contraception and are free and confidential.


Social Services

We believe that all children and young people in Pembrokeshire have a right to enjoy the best physical and mental health. We have a legal duty to protect them from harm and neglect, to make sure they feel safe and to offer support to parents and carers.

Click on the link below and you will find information on social care services for children and young people. These services aim to provide support to children, young people and their families who are in need. We are here to help and wherever possible we aim to provide services to allow children and young people to stay with their families.

Click on the link below for more information: Social Care Services for Children and Young People

To talk to someone if you have a problem or concern with child protection whether it be yourself or someone you know please call the          

Duty Social Worker Desk on:

(01437) 776322 or (01437) 776325 or (01437) 776444

ID: 19, Revised: 8/1/2021